Shorewood, WI


What should I do if my neighbor's noise volume is bothersome?

It depends upon what and how loud the noise is. Shorewood has a noise ordinance which prohibits certain unreasonable noises (e.g., loud music, yelling or shouting, loud machinery or equipment, etc). If your neighbors are simply sitting in their backyard having a conversation and you can hear this because your windows are open, you will need to close your windows.

Although this may be an annoyance, it is not against the law. If your neighbors are playing loud music, yelling, screaming, or being disorderly, it would constitute a violation of the ordinance and police should be notified. It never hurts to simply talk to your neighbors and voice your concerns with them. Working together can solve problems.

Can the police deal with problem neighbors?

Yes, Shorewood has a Chronic Nuisance Ordinance in effect. This law provides for stiff penalties to building owners once a premise has been declared a public nuisance and police have to continue to respond to quell loud parties and other illegal acts.

When the police respond to any complaint at any address, a record of that call is created. If police respond to 3 or more nuisance type calls to a specific address, the cases are reviewed. If there is cause, the Chief of Police may declare that address a as a nuisance premise. Once a premise is declared a nuisance, the Chief of Police will mandate an abatement plan for the building owner / landlord. If this does not work, the building owner can be fined up to $2,000 per incident for any further nuisance type calls to that address.

If you have a problem with your neighbors, and depending on the seriousness of the problem, your first action may be to personally ask the tenant or property owner to cease the activity. A visit or call to your neighbor may be all that it takes to address a problem. For more serious violations such as loud parties, disorderly conduct, alcohol or drug use, or other lewd conduct, please call the Police Department at 414-351-9900 to report the problem. Call 911 if there is an emergency.

Can I pay a parking or other citation online or by phone?

Yes you can! Parking citations can be paid online by going to www.dspayments.com/shorewood . You'll need to know the parking citation number and/or your license plate number. MasterCard, Visa, and Discover cards are accepted. There is a $2.95 fee per citation. Parking citations can also be paid over the phone by calling 866-449-7574. MasterCard, Visa, and Discover cards are accepted. There is a $2.95 fee per citation. As always, parking citations can be paid in person at the Shorewood Police Department lobby. You can pay with a credit card, check, or with cash. Parking citations can be paid by check or money order via U.S. Mail. (Please do not send cash through the mail.)

Can I get my fingerprints taken at the Shorewood Police Department?

If you need to get fingerprinted in order to get a teaching or a bartender's license, or for any other reason with the exception of immigration reasons, you may get fingerprinted at the Shorewood Police Department. However, this service is only available to Shorewood residents and those who are not from Shorewood but need prints for a position in Shorewood.

There is a $12 fee for fingerprinting.

Do I need permission to park on the street overnight?

Yes. Shorewood has an ordinance which prohibits parking on any street within the village between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., from Monday through Friday mornings. (Overnight parking regulations are not in effect on Federal Holidays.)


Overnight permits are $2.00 per night and must be purchased ONLINE ONLY. For more information and to purchase an overnight parking permit, CLICK HERE

Permits for overnight parking in municipal parking lots can be purchased at the village hall and are valid for an entire month. Be advised that some streets, such as Oakland Avenue, have the following alternate side parking restrictions:

  • On Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights (prior to midnight) a vehicle with a valid night permit must be parked on the side of the street with even address numbers (north and east sides of the street).
  • On Monday and Wednesday nights (prior to midnight) a vehicle with a valid night permit must be parked on the side of the street with odd address numbers (south and west sides of the street).
  • Please check the signs prior to parking to verify the area you want to park is affected by alternate side parking.

Why did the officer have to give me a citation?

Before you vent your frustrations out on the officer, think for a moment. The officer is only doing a job that he or she is paid to do. Enforcing the laws of our society is not an easy thing to do. Laws are written by elected officials, not the police. It is the responsibility of the police to see that laws are enforced. If you feel that you didn't deserve a citation or deserve to be arrested for something, the matter can be resolved in court, not in a conflict with the officer; please don't take it personally.

Where can I pay the parking or traffic citation I received?

Payment of traffic tickets which were issued by the Shorewood Police Department can be made by mail with a personal check (payable to the Shorewood Police Department), or they can be paid in person at the: Shorewood Police Station 4047 N  Wilson Dr. Shorewood, WI 53211

Cash, personal checks, money orders, or credit cards (MasterCard and Visa) are accepted at the window. We can only accept payment for citations issued by Shorewood Police Officers, not other agencies. Shorewood parking citations can be paid at the Police Department lobby OR they can be paid online or by phone. To pay online, go to www.dspayments.com/shorewood . (MasterCard, Visa and Discover cards are accepted with a $2.95 fee) To pay parking citations by phone, call 866-449-7574 with your MasterCard, Visa or Discover card. There is also a $2.95 fee for this service. If you pay online or by phone, you'll need your citation and/or license plate number.

What happens if I do not pay a parking citation?

If you received a parking citation on a vehicle owned or driven by you, you have 2 options. You can pay the citation or make arrangements to contest the citation in Municipal Court.

Forfeitures on parking citations nearly double if the citation is not paid within 10 days of issuance. If a citation remains unpaid after 60 days, the registration of the violating vehicle becomes suspended and the forfeiture of the original citation increases even more. When a vehicle's registration is suspended, it cannot be legally driven. In addition, a vehicle that has a suspended registration cannot be sold or transferred, nor can annual registration be renewed until the parking citation(s) are paid in full.

If you wish to contest a parking citation received in Shorewood, you must contact the Shorewood Police Department at 414-847-2610, and sign up for court. Please have the citation number handy as well as the license plate number of the violating vehicle. You will be given a date and time to report to parking court which is held once per month.

Failing to pay or respond to a $20 parking citation can literally end up costing you hundreds of dollars down the road. Never ignore one.

What happens if I don't pay a traffic citation?

Failure to pay a traffic citation or appear in court can result in a warrant being issued for your arrest as well as a suspension of your driver's license. If you feel you cannot afford a citation or you feel that you are not guilty of a certain offense, simply appear in court. Please do not ever ignore a citation. Citations simply do not just go away and can end up haunting you in the future with additional costs as well as putting you in an embarrassing or inconvenient situation.

How can I get a copy of a police report?

Copies of police reports, including accident reports, can be obtained in person at the Shorewood Police Department. To obtain certain reports, you may need to complete an Open Records Request Form (PDF). There is a nominal charge for copy service.

Please keep in mind that the Shorewood Police Department cannot give you driving record information, vehicle registration information, or criminal record information.

What number do I call if I have a question or need the police for something?

Shorewood officers are not dispatched from the Shorewood Police Station. We share a consolidated dispatch center with all North Shore Communities based in the Village of Bayside.

In an emergency situation where time is critical, you should always dial 911. If you need the police to respond to your home or any other location for a non-emergency call or minor situation, you should call the dispatch center at 414-351-9900. If you want to speak with a Shorewood officer by phone, have a question or concern, or need night parking permission, you should call our station directly at 414-847-2610. All officers have voice mail and you are welcome to leave a message if you cannot speak with a particular officer at the time of your call.

Calling the wrong number can delay police response.