Can the police deal with problem neighbors?
Yes, Shorewood has a Chronic Nuisance Ordinance in effect. This law provides for stiff penalties to building owners once a premise has been declared a public nuisance and police have to continue to respond to quell loud parties and other illegal acts.

When the police respond to any complaint at any address, a record of that call is created. If police respond to 3 or more nuisance type calls to a specific address, the cases are reviewed. If there is cause, the Chief of Police may declare that address a as a nuisance premise. Once a premise is declared a nuisance, the Chief of Police will mandate an abatement plan for the building owner / landlord. If this does not work, the building owner can be fined up to $2,000 per incident for any further nuisance type calls to that address.

If you have a problem with your neighbors, and depending on the seriousness of the problem, your first action may be to personally ask the tenant or property owner to cease the activity. A visit or call to your neighbor may be all that it takes to address a problem. For more serious violations such as loud parties, disorderly conduct, alcohol or drug use, or other lewd conduct, please call the Police Department at 414-351-9900 to report the problem. Call 911 if there is an emergency.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if my neighbor's noise volume is bothersome?
2. Can the police deal with problem neighbors?
3. Can I pay a parking or other citation online or by phone?
4. Can I get my fingerprints taken at the Shorewood Police Department?
5. Do I need permission to park on the street overnight?
6. Why did the officer have to give me a citation?
7. Where can I pay the parking or traffic citation I received?
8. What happens if I do not pay a parking citation?
9. What happens if I don't pay a traffic citation?
10. How can I get a copy of a police report?
11. What number do I call if I have a question or need the police for something?