Commercial Zoning Update
Image Preference Survey Results
The Commercial Zoning Update's second public workshop was convened on May 4th at which participants completed an image preference survey. Participants were asked to score images of Storefront Buildings, General Buildings, Streetscapes and Façade Renovations on a scale ranging from negative to positive. The results of that survey were tabulated in order to rank the images from most favorable to least. Summaries of each section, including any individual remarks that were shared in table discussions of the images, are documented below.
For those who were unable to attend, comments on these summaries, either confirming, disagreeing or expanding upon the ranking of the selections, or general thoughts on any of the images may be sent to Bart Griepentrog. If providing remarks on particular images, please be sure to include the image numbers within your submission.
Identified as one of the primary actions within the Strategic Directions of the Shorewood Comprehensive Plan 2040, the Village will commence discussions on a Commercial Zoning Update inclusive of hybrid form-based code elements in 2022. Unlike strictly conventional zoning, which emphasizes the separation of land uses, form-based zoning regulations emphasize the physical character of development and consider the relationships between buildings and the street, pedestrians and vehicles, and public spaces and private spaces. Hybrid codes also address land uses, but also focus on how development relates to the context of the surrounding area.
The Village has hired CodaMetrics and Duncan Associates to lead this effort, under the guidance of the Planning & Development Department and the Plan Commission. Opportunities for public involvement, draft documents and further information regarding this project will be posted to this website.
- Kick Off Meeting - January 12, 2022
- Project Update - January 19, 2022
- Working Group Meeting Presentation - February 28, 2022
- Working Group Meeting Notes - February 28, 2022
- Task 1 Discovery Memo - March 16, 2022
- Public Workshop #1 - March 31, 2022
- Working Group Meeting Notes - April 6, 2022
- "What Have We Heard?" - April 17, 2022
- Image Preference Survey Results (combined) - May 10, 2022
- Directions Memo - Mapping - June 23, 2022 (Revised)
- Barbara Kiely Miller, Plan Commission
- Josh Pollack, Plan Commission
- Scott Kraehnke, Design Review Board
- Lybra Loest, Design Review Board
- Jon Krouse, Community Development Authority
- Tr. Kathy Stokebrand, Community Development Authority
- Jake Bresette, BID Board
- Tr. Arthur Ircink, BID Board
- Chuck Hagner, Conservation Committee
- Maggie Pipek, Conservation Committee
- Matt Weiss, Human Relations Commission
- Gary Brunk, Parks and Public Spaces Committee
- Kate Flynn Post, At-Large Community Member
To sign up to receive notifications regarding the Commercial Zoning Update, sign up for the project's Notify Me messages.
Questions related to this project may be directed to Bart Griepentrog, AICP, Planning & Development Director.