Who is required to replace their service? What is the cost?
Effective September 30, 2022 replacement of all utility and customer lead services lines is mandatory:
- at the time of a utility water main replacement,
- if repair of the private or public service line is deemed necessary; or
- during any project to replace lead service lines (Ordinance 3043 amending Village Code 514-12).
For further information, see the Village of Shorewood Lead Service Replacement Program document.
What is the cost?
Service line replacement costs will vary. Observed costs in 2022 for the replacement of a typical private side service have ranged from $6,000 to $8,000.
Subject to PSC approval of the Water Utility’s request to provide financial assistance to replace the customer side lead service lines, all property owners will be eligible for Water Utility financial assistance to replace the customer owned lead service lines when work is done in conjunction with an identified water utility project subject to the following conditions:
- The property owner signs an agreement to allow work to be performed on their property at least 10 days in advance of the anticipated project start.
- The property owner agrees to use one of the Village’s pre-approved contractors for the project.
- The property owner provides the Village / contractor inside access to the property to verify information related to the service line and location.
- The property owner works with the contractor to schedule and be available to provide inside access to complete the work within the timeframe identified by the Village.
- The property owner agrees to any other necessary modifications to the existing meter connection to become compliant with current plumbing standards.
The Water Utility’s financial assistance may cover up to 50% of the cost of replacing the property owner portion of the lead service line subject to a limit of $5,000 per property.
The Village may also provide additional financial assistance related to these projects depending on the receipt of federal or state grants, or the designation of other funds for this purpose. Such funding will be applied annually on a dollar amount basis, depending on the availability of funds and the total number of lead service lines replaced, for up to an additional 25% of the replacement cost.
All remaining costs will be the responsibility of the property owner being served by the service line. Upon request, the property owner may elect to pay for these costs in the form of a zero percent (0%) interest loan from the utility to be repaid in twelve (12) equal installments on the next twelve (12) utility bills for the property. Loan balances may be prepaid without penalty; any past due loan balances may be placed on the property tax roll. Neither the Water Utility nor the Village of Shorewood are allowed to forgive unpaid loan balances.