What happens if I do not pay a parking citation?

If you received a parking citation on a vehicle owned or driven by you, you have 2 options. You can pay the citation or make arrangements to contest the citation in Municipal Court.

Forfeitures on parking citations nearly double if the citation is not paid within 10 days of issuance. If a citation remains unpaid after 28 days, the registration of the violating vehicle becomes suspended and the forfeiture of the original citation increases again. When a vehicle's registration is suspended, it cannot be legally driven. In addition, a vehicle that has a suspended registration cannot be sold or transferred, nor can annual registration be renewed until the parking citation(s) are paid in full.

If you wish to contest a parking citation received in Shorewood, you must contact the Shorewood Police Department at 414-847-2610, and sign up for court. Please have the citation number available as well as the license plate number of the violating vehicle. You will be given a date and time to report to Municipal Court which is held once per month.

Show All Answers

1. What number do I call if I have a question or need the police for something?
2. How can I get a copy of a police report?
3. Do I need permission to park on the street overnight?
4. Where can I pay the parking or traffic citation I received?
5. Can I pay a parking citation online?
6. Contesting parking citation(s)
7. What happens if I do not pay a parking citation?
8. What happens if I do not pay a traffic citation(s)?
9. Contesting traffic & municipal citation(s)
10. Can I get my fingerprints taken at the Shorewood Police Department?
11. What should I do if my neighbor's noise volume is bothersome?